IAESTE Switzerland

IAESTE Switzerland

Weinbergstrasse 41
8006 Zürich

Phone: +41 43 244 93 13
Fax: +41 43 244 93 39

Bd de Grancy 37
1006 Lausanne

Phone: +41 21 601 79 93
Fax: +41 21 617 87 79

Contact persons

Social networks

Visa / Residence and Work Permit

Trainees from EU/EFTA states

Reporting process for a stay up to 90 days: interns coming from EU/EFTA states (except Bulgaria and Rumania) have to be registered online by their employer if they stay to work for max. 90 days: Information and Online-Form (german)

If an internship lasts more than 90 days, interns have to go the residential municipality with their work contract in order to get registered and this within 14 days of their arrival in Switzerland. They will then obtain the residence permit ("permit L") for the duration of their internship.

Trainees from Non-EU states

IAESTE Switzerland will organize the visa/residence and work permit for these trainees.

Documents required from the employer:

  • Copy of the work contract with signature of the employer
  • signed cantonal application form

In order to receive the visa / permit on time we have to hand in the application to the authorities at least six weeks before the start of the internship.

Trainees from Andorra, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore and Malaysia

Trainees from Bulgaria and Rumania and from Japan, New Zealand, Singapore and Malaysia do not need a visa, but will receive the 'Zusicherung der Aufenthaltsbewilligung' (residence permit), which entitles them to stay and work in Switzerland.

Trainees from all other Non-EU states

Trainees from these states do need an entry visa. The visa will be transferred to a Swiss embassy in the country of residence of the trainee and needs to be picked up there. Entering Switzerland for working purposes without a valid visa is not permitted and a visa can not be obtained in Switzerland.

Registration in Switzerland

If interns stay longer than 4 months, they also have to get registered at the residential municipality within 14 days after their arrival in Switzerland and they will then obtain their residence permit („permit L“) for the duration of their internship.

For detailed information please consult the webistes of the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) or the cantonal authorities.